Sunday 8 November 2020

LET US REFLECT A BIT: ARE YOU A GOOD READER?

Hi again!

I must share with you a reflection upon my reading habits.

It´s not a secret that I love reading since I can remember. However, it´s true that  my reading habits have changed nowadays and new technologies or my job are part of them.

Let´s answer some questions:

1. What kind of books or texts are the people reading? Did they chose the books themselves or did someone else choose for them?

Considering the pictures, people are reading in different places and in different formats too: newspapers, e-books, textbooks, traditional books... In some cases these books are an individual decision and you just read for pleasure but other times, you are typically given or chosen the books you have to read for any purpose (especially kids at school or when you are at the university). Thanks to new technologies, reading any kind of book at any place is possible.

3. Describe how they might be feeling at the moment and give reasons.

Regarding the answer to this question, it can be quite different depending on the situation. For example, students could consider that reading a text in their textbooks in class is really boring because it´s a compulsory activity. On the other hand, if you read something (a magazine, news, a novel…) by choice, that feeling changes.

4.  What texts do you enjoy reading in each language that you speak?

- Do you choose the same kind of texts or do you read very different things depending on the language? What factors determine your choice? 

- In what format do you read (paper, e-reader, online etc.)?

- When do you read?

Finally, as I said before, I love reading whether in English or Spanish because it´s a wonderful way to spread your imagination. But it´s true I usually read news, magazines or articles in L2 (digitally) and novels or short stories in my mother tongue (in paper). Why? I think the main reason is that I expend all day checking my student´s work in the L2 and I also study in English. Therefore, I find myself ending up by reading a book or a story in the L1 for comfort and fatigue when the day is over.


3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Thank you for sharing your point of view about reading habits. I have enjoyed reading your post. As well as you think, I believe that choosing your own reading is more interesting than reading a text selected by another person.

    I also agree with you about the changes of our reading habits due to the ICT tools and our job.

    ReplyDelete